Lost and Frozen (The Garden II)

Lost and Frozen (The Garden II)


PDF (Readability)

The Garden (Part 1)

There are a set of eyes, across the room, staring at me with such lust and passion that I have no doubt they belong to an individual who loves me unconditionally. I cannot hold the gaze, my own vision falters as I begin to wonder if I will truly be able to reach such a state with my own heart. I shift my eyes once more to align my visage with the face of the beast who still stares back with innocence and naivety. There is no jealousy within the optics of this creature, I could abuse it, mistreat it, or cause it physical harm that it does not deserve, yet it would still come back, seemingly happy, with forgiveness and benevolence in its heart. 
            The dog barks, with a coy grin, perhaps for no other reason than to remind me that it is still in the room. Oddly enough, I smile back, but I think there is sadness on my face. At this moment I portray an individual with a broken heart. Pessimism consumes me, and keeps me stuck in a spiral of bitter remorse. The dog in the room—the brown and white being—evokes thoughts that have been plaguing me since the beginning of my days. This animal, this critter, this soul across from me is the optimist while I am its other half. The dog and I stare at one another—together we have a holistic view or the world. But, in truth, we are both fine. The dog is satisfied being a dog, and I am satisfied being somewhere between a boy and a man. My brain continues to think, my heart continues to feel warmth, and my body has survived defeat.
            The last time I was in this room, the last time I stared into this dog’s set of eyes, was on the night my mind was so adrift, that I felt as though my thought processes were so mixed up and backwards I was positive I would never be unfuddled again. I sat, in the exact spot I am in at this moment; my head was spinning. I was weak and vulnerable, my heart had an open wound, and was leaving a trail of sanguine fluid behind me as I stood up to walk the city streets. Through the darkness, I desperately tried to hold onto my beliefs, the morals and guidance that I have built my life around. But they were slipping, and I was ready to give in to the evil all around me. I wished to break every sacred vow that I laid upon myself.
            My footstep brought me in circles, I had no destination, and I was unsure of what to do with myself—all that I knew was that it was vital that I continued to walk. If my footsteps ceased, and I was left alone in my head, I knew, it could easily be the death of me. I had grown callous and confused, I was desperately afraid of my own shadow. Looking back, I’m relatively certain that what I sought was acceptance, belonging, and another human voice to linger with my own to wed together in the art of conversation. My fingers went numb first, followed by my ears and then toes. Eventually my entire body felt as though it had succumbed to the frigid night’s air. I knew that I could not expose myself to the elements any longer, so I vowed to duck indoors at the next opportunity.
            I came across an Irish pub that I strolled into once before, nearly a year previous. My heart was feeling as amiss on that night as it was on this night. I met a man, during my previous encounter as this establishment, he was three times my age and ten times wiser. He talked me through my heartbreak then, and elated my soured soul. It seemed far too coincidental that I ended up here again. Even though I wandered with unguided destination, I could not help but wonder if I was guided here by some mystique force. Perhaps I returned, to seek him out and to once again let him into my head. I wanted him to rip apart the cobwebs which always seem to keep me from thinking with perfect clarity.
            When I took my first steps into the pub, I had a sinking feeling within my chest. My already dampened spirits were further supressed when I found I would have to pull up a stool at the bar alone.   
            “What will ya be having tis evening?” The bartender asked, as he cantered towards me. In all honesty, I neither cared nor desired to spend my time giving it any thought.
“Whatever you want,” I responded. He mumbled something before turning his back to me, and based on his gruff exterior, it probably wasn’t too pleasant.
            Perhaps it was just my imagination taking the reigns of my sanity, but the next time I turned my head to the right I was met with a figure, cradling a glass of scotch like it contained the secrets of the universe.
            “Excuse me sir,” I said to him.
            “Yes, young man,” he responded with a sly intonation.
            “I am not sure if you remember me or not, for I am sure that I do not give a lasting impression—”
            “You underestimate the effect of our previous conversation. I very much do remember you, and all the trouble brewing within your chest. Now tell me, what is the current condition of your heart?”
            I wasn’t quite sure how to answer his question. I opened my mouth on several occasions before getting the words to fit just right. “My heart… Is vapid at this moment. I am not sure what to believe anymore, I am not sure what is right… What is wrong? There are so many people in this world, and all offer a unique perspective. But so many of them are poison! They belittle your ideas, they belittle your desires and dreams and make you feel worthless. And that is how they manipulate you into their way of thinking. I know I sound sardonic and cynical, but I can’t help but look upon the world with a glum outlook… How can this be all there is? How can there just be life and death and nothing more?”
            “Young man, you may feel as though you are the first person to have their mind tainted, you may feel like the first person to question the purpose of our existence—to search for answers beyond deities and wishing upon stars. You feel as though a piece of you has been taken, you feel as though your heart is missing, but it’s been with you all along. You are old enough to see the imperfections in the world but not so old that you can understand them. We are all searching for the answers to our questions, for we are all searching for ultimate meaning. We are all searching for the reason we have been put on this planet.” He put his hand on my shoulder, and let it linger as I searched for an appropriate response.
            “I like to believe that there is good in this world, as well as evil. Nobody is purely evil, just as nobody is pure at heart. We all full somewhere along the spectrum,” I said to him.
            “I believe you are correct.”
            “But this system we live in… It is not fair! Why is it that there are people in the world with nothing but good intentions who die prematurely, who never find what it is they are looking for? But there are people out there, selfish people who would sell their souls to get ahead in life, who find happiness, find love, and find success. My initial belief system, my innate viewpoint that I was given, is that good will always prevail. Kindness is the methodology to capture hearts, gratitude is the secret to happiness and success. But each day I wake, and the more people I speak to, the more I start to think that I have everything backwards. How can lying, cheating, and being an awful person pave the way to happiness?”
            “Life is neither straight forward nor complete. Your youthfulness betrays you. What you do not yet possess is patience. You may grow callous, you may become more cynical than anybody who has ever lived, but you cannot possibly hope to change your predisposition. If you think that you will wake up one day and suddenly be able to look your peers in the eyes and lie bluntly, you are sadly mistaken. If you think you will wake up one morning and suddenly abandon your quest for self-improved you are much more disillusioned than you seem.”
            “Why not? Why can’t I hire an experimental neurosurgeon to cut the neurons in my brain that control reason, restraint, and my inhibitions? Why do I seem to have a destiny to always give my heart away in the most inappropriate instances? I am starting to feel like a chronicler, foreordained to watch the world pass by through my own paradoxical eyes. But what of you? What of you, who has observed a near infinite amount of life and death? How have you gotten past the wayward drifting of those special individuals who, year after year, continued to claw at your heart?”
            “There is no secret. There is no magical remedy which will give you back your innocence, your childlike view of the world. Each time your heart is cracked or chiselled, it will not grow back, but instead be forever damaged. The secret is to continue living, to ignore the itching, the wishing, and the sentiment that exists no longer.”
            “But that cannot be life,” I said to him.
            “C’est la vie.”
            “No, we are not simply living to patch up holes in our character. What kind of life would we be living if it was one without true love? What kind of life would it be if there are no consequences for manipulating and sabotaging people? At this moment—at this very moment—each breath is a struggle, my mental acuity is failing me and I feel more dead than alive. But still, I cannot let go of my mindset. Even if I am fighting a losing battle, even if I am destined to be broken hearted each and every day until I pass away, I refuse to believe that there is nothing more to this life. If I stopped believing that good will always prevail, I would have nothing left to hang onto. My mind would flounder, because the lines of fiction and reality would have become so intermingled that there would be no way to separate them.”
            “We all have our vices, we all have beliefs that keep us sane, if you need yours in order to—”
            “I don’t just need my beliefs, I need them to be true! I can’t believe a lie.”
            “In this life there is no truth, there are no lies. There are just people, who walk around as zombies, each and every day of their lives. They don’t think; they don’t reason; they just are.”
            “Will it ever change? Is there any hope for us?”
            “No, there definitely is not,” the man responded with certainty.
            We two men sat in silence, for what felt like half the night. There was a gentle scratching as the bartender wiped down the counter with an already soiled rag. I can even vividly remember the sound of the flames in the fireplace crackling. The man I was sitting with finished off his drink and lifted his coat from the seat next to him, as if to signal that it was time for him to leave. And then, without a word, he was gone. I am still not sure if he was actually with me that night, or if he was just a phantom that I contrived to satisfied my basic human needs, to evade my loneliness.
            “One more?” The bar tender asked me, probably hinting that he wants to close for the night.
            “Ahh… Yes, I am finished, I believe,” I responded, not totally certain.
            I rose from my seat and walked towards the door, lingering by the hearth on my way out. I took a final scan of the pub, to deeply encode it into my brain and then I left, I stepped back into the winter night. The physical numbness that overcame me before I entered started to flirt with me again. I began to hurry home, at a pace between a fast canter and slow jog. But eventually, on my quest for warmth, I was distracted. A pining within my chest began to gnaw at my heart. The feeling was so pronounced that I had to stop walking completely. I paused, staring at my own breath in the cold air. I switched directions, and instead of returning to my residence, where I could sit down for a steaming glass of tea, I continued onwards, towards the one place in the world where I know I can find tranquility.
            The garden was lit by a single lantern, which illuminated the snowy flowerbeds. The birds may have migrated months ago, and to any passersby it may have appeared grey and dreary, but to me it was simply radiant. To me, it looked just as it did the first time I came here to rest my weary form.
It was the most beautiful summer evening I could have imagined. The warbles and chickadees lost their chronic shyness as I sat next to them. They flew from flower to flower and sang gaily, as if they knew that I was gazing upon them and they wanted to give me the most profound performance they could muster. My heart was so full of joy, that it would have taken an army of men to remove me from the seat. I sat there, contently, writing about the beauty I had been fortuitous enough to witness.
            The second time I came here, a year later, I was not alone. Of all the people whom I could have brought, I found myself next to the individual who held my heart during my first trek here. And I must admit, she held my heart still. I told her such, but the words were not soon enough and before I had time to blink she was gone again. This time, the rain drenched us both, and although the flowers did not seem to want to bloom, the chickadees were still extroverts and the warblers still seemed happy to have company.
            Then, amidst my third trip here, I was shaking and convulsing from the cold. The flowers were buried, the birds long ago left and there was not another living soul as far as the eye could see. Still, it was as peaceful as ever.
            Pending frostbite eventually lifted me from my seat, and before I blinked I was home again. The cup of tea I had been fantasizing about since I left the pub was finally in my hand as I came to rest on the old red sofa in the living room. I crashed down into the seat, almost spilling the cup in my hand. I looked across the room, to the dog who gazed at me. That was less than a day ago, but it might as well have been a lifetime previous.
            Today, I sit in the same seat, staring at the same dog. He does not come running when I call his name, but instead, he walks calmly before jumping in my lap.
“I know you can’t understand what I am saying, but I have a question for you—what is the meaning of life? I wish I was better at articulating my feelings, but I feel like I am looking for something. I feel like we are all looking for something, but what is it? Could it be love? Companionship? Acceptance? We are all in love with somebody, even you are in love with somebody. I am so tired of this life, I am tired of looking for one person to make me happy—one person who I can reciprocate that elation back to. Is that what we all one? One person who can love us for who we are? You are just a dog but even you know who makes you happy. Myself, I am not smart enough to know what I want in this world. I had my heart broken once on a day like today, the memory is still so fresh that it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Do you, a tiny puppy, understand these feelings I am trying to describe to you? If you do, bark or shake my hand. Do something to let me know that your head isn’t empty…”
            The dog shifts its head, in such a way as to make eye contact with me. The dog doesn’t say a word, perhaps because it is a dog, but he gives me a look that nearly makes me gasp. There is such human emotion tattooed across his face that for a second I completely forget that he is not human.
            “Thank you.” I say to the creature. “Perhaps this is it. Perhaps this is the greatest love man is able to feel. The unconditional bond that exists between you and me is unbreakable. Could I—or any other person on this planet—ever been filled was such a pure emotion, such altruism towards another person?”
            I pause, upon posing the question, which in all honesty was meant to be ironic. I let it circle around in my cognition before thoughtfully providing a response. “Yes… Yes, I believe that it is.”
            The dog rests its chin on my lap before closing its eyes and letting itself drift from conscious thought. I place my right hand behind his ear and begin to rhythmically stroke the fur that is draping down. I become as peaceful as the dog, content with the resolution I have finally obtained. 

     DannYetman
www.yetmanpoetry.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment